We all find lots of video players, but it is difficult to find ones that really stand out and make you prefer to stick to it. SMPlayer is one such video player with lots of awesomeness that was only available for Linux and has been made available for all other platforms. Thus, apart from many other goodness, it is really wonderful to have one player which you can get addicted to without thinking of platform dependency.
The best part of SMPlayer is that you do not need to download codecs separately because it does not need any codecs for playing videos. Everything is inbuilt and comes as a part of the package.
- It's inbuilt codec library can play all formats without any need to install every now and then new codecs from third parties.
- It supports YouTube inherently without having to go to your browser and in return you can add a plugin to search for videos on YouTube and play directly through SMPlayer.
- It can now remember your settings for videos. Just imagine you had to suddenly leave to attend your small baby. When you return, you can resume from the same place.
- The next big advantage or strong selling point is the inbuilt subtitle search. It can search opensubtitles.org for subtitles of any video you are playing and include it instantly.
It comes with several skins that can change the look and feel of the player. There are many advanced features that have become today's need. Everyone wants to make changes or edit videos by adding or removing content. With various filters, adjustment of audio, change of playback speed you can really make some cool edits. Just go to the "Advanced" tab and explore yourself the enormous power of this player.
The latest release covers all platforms with same user interface and as said in the title, it is available for Windows too. It is under GPL license and is free for developers. It uses the award-winning MPlayer and is a wrap over its awesomeness. It is available in over 30 different languages for worldwide usage. Their latest version is 16.9.0 on Windows weighing 40 MB after installation.
Thus, the selling points, although free, that make it the best video player out there is its ability to search and download subtitles, play YouTube videos inherently, remember previous settings and incorporate the award-winning MPlayer engine.
Changes on the new version:
- New option to send the audio to the specified audio device. It can be useful to send the audio to a TV via a HDMI cable or wireless headphones via bluetooth.
- Some improvements on the playlist. Now it's possible to hide any column (right click to see the options). The search field is also hidden by default, a new search button shows/hides it. This changes are intended to prevent the playlist window to be too wide.
- Due to bugs and problems with Qt 5, the packages for Ubuntu are now built again with Qt 4 by default.
- Bug fixes.
SMPlayer Reviews (Add your review!)
Add your review!
OS Support: Win7 x64, WinXP, WinVista, Win7 x32, Win8 x32, Win8 x64, Windows 8, Windows 10,
Hits: 1,754 visitors
Date added: 23 Jun 2015
Last Update: 11 Sep 2016